Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Our school

Indooroopilly State School is situated in the western suburbs of Brisbane and the majority of our students come from middle to high socio-economic families that are well educated and have high expectations for their children’s learning and achievement. An exciting aspect of our school’s character is the large number of students from other countries. Currently students with English as a second language attend our school from 40 different countries. These students and their families enhance our school environment in many ways and we pride ourselves on the multi-cultural nature of our school. The students at Indooroopilly State School are very capable, well behaved and enthusiastic learners. Indooroopilly State School draws its students from 42 suburbs. The majority of the students come from Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly, Kenmore and Taringa. The remainder of students come from other areas of the Brisbane Metropolitan Region.

Indooroopilly State School has a history that stretches back to 1889. Many staff, students, parents and other members of the school community have played a part in making that history – a small part of which is recorded here.

Establishment of the school

Around the time of 1880, parents living in the Indooroopilly district expressed a desire for a local school, especially as some of their children had to walk several miles to other existing schools. Once the decision was made for a school to be built in Indooroopilly, a public meeting was held on 29 February 1888 to elect a building committee. In those days a building committee was required to raise a fifth of the total building cost of a school and the Indooroopilly Building Committee had plenty of drive and initiative and soon raised the necessary money. An area of land was excised from a sheep quarantine reserve and a school was built on the site.

This new school, because of its location, was named Indooroopilly. Up until the completion of the new school another local school had been called Indooroopilly and it was renamed Indooroopilly Pocket. That school subsequently became Ironside State School as we know it today.

Indooroopilly School was opened on 8 July 1889, and on the following day a formal opening was performed with the undersecretary of Education, J.G. Anderson present. A special concert was held on the day to celebrate the opening. Many local parents showed confidence in the school, and by the end of the first year the enrolment was 207.